Department: Real Estate
Reports to: Director, Real Estate
Location: Aurora, Ontario
This position is responsible for the negotiation, drafting, reviewing and finalization of offers to lease, direct to lease, amending agreements and/or other related legal documentation for new store locations, renewals and relocations for the Company.
This individual will encompass strong negotiation skills and ensure the accurate and timely completion of all agreements to meet Company target store counts and ensure all renewals are completed in a timely manner. This will also require the ability to negotiate with various landlords and/or their respective solicitors across the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify, source and secure new locations and work with existing landlords to complete renewals.
- Accurate and timely drafting, review, negotiation and finalization of complex retail shopping centre and condominium offers to lease, direct to lease agreements and/or other related legal documentation.
- Coordinate the execution of all leases and related documents for both tenant and landlord in a timely manner.
- Ensure that landlord and tenant obligations and agreements (as amended during the negotiation process) are accurately documented in the various legal documents entered into between the landlord and tenant.
- Ensure that all legal documentation complies with company policies, checklists, procedures and strategies.
- Organize and expedite the flow of work and manage a bring forward system.
- Review and research lease agreements and other legal correspondence and provide written and/or verbal interpretations of the lease provisions together with written and/or verbal advice with respect to the practical application of the lease provisions.
- Ability to draft a variety of legal clauses, as needed, for all legal documentation forms.
- Track and monitor all lease expiry dates and ensure that the Director, Real Estate is notified of all pertinent notice dates and deadlines.
- Assist Director, Real Estate with market information packages required for presentation for potential new locations and/or relocations.
- Assist Director, Real Estate in the preparation of internal approval documentation for executive approvals (Lease Term Summaries) ensuring all details are accurately recorded.
- Ensure the complete and accurate filing (hard copy and electronic copy) of all department documentation.
- Make recommendations and flag any potential issues or discrepancies and to ensure the protection of the Company.
- Advanced negotiating skills to finalize all offers and/or lease agreements.
- Stay current on changing legal requirements by reviewing the ICSC law conference materials as they come in and review any articles received and ensure all relevant materials are shared with the team.
- Ensure all written and oral communications are professional, clear, concise, timely, thorough and proactive to all landlords and their respective solicitors, team members as well as other departments.
- Manage and maintain relationships with landlords and/or solicitors by continuing both verbal and written communication with them during all negotiations.
- Act as a liaison and department representative with other departments to ensure continued communication and alignment on all new stores and relocations and/or other projects.
- Ensure all documentation is accurate and ready for submission to the Director, Real Estate for final review.
- Prepare all required legal documents and other related documentation ensuring all details are accurate.
- Ensure all department tracking documents and logs are accurate and up-to-date at all times.
- Apply proof reading and editing skills to all correspondence and documentation to ensure accuracy.
Push for Results
- Work within strict deadlines.
- Solicit guidance as required from time to time to ensure all documentation is completed on time and meets Company standards.
Partnership and Teamwork
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with landlords and their respective solicitors.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues building effective relationships towards common Company goals and objectives.
- Ensure all documents and communications are accurate, print ready and meet Company standards.
Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
- Post-secondary education in business and/or related field
- 3-5 years' experience in commercial leasing specializing in retail shopping centre leasing.
- 3-5 years' experience with retail lease negotiation
- 3-5 years' work experience with a "hands-on" approach to handle multiple projects and simultaneous deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of lease requirements across Canada and real estate law is required.
- Advanced level of computer skills, including MS Word, MS Excel, Power Point and MS Outlook
- Basic knowledge of Terraview
- Ability to travel within Canada, as required
How to Apply
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "LRRE"
No telephone calls please. No agency calls please.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. In accordance with the AODA accommodation is available, if requested.