Quality Control Specialist (Contract)
Reports To: Manager, Food Inspection, Safety and Legislative Compliance
Type: Full-Time, 12 month contract
Location: Aurora, Ontario
This position is responsible for ensuring quality assurance standards for new and existing products are achieved. Working with external companies and government bodies to ensure quality related issues are identified and addressed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing to internal and external customers/clients.
- Ensure regular updates and completion timelines are effectively communicated to management.
Project and Task Management
- Coordinate the Quality Control function, including testing product, releasing raw materials, reviewing and approving test results and filing.
- Provide support to the IC team and conduct Internal Audits to verify product quality specifications are met.
- Ensure product quality consistency with respect to new and existing products.
- Maintain all quality assurance related documentation, manuals and database and implement changes as directed.
- Oversee handling and completion of Out of Specification reporting for products (e.g. Organic).
- Investigation of vendor complaints, customer service complaints, store complaints, including data entry and information gathering.
- Responsible to ensure vendor corrective action reports and incident tracking.
- Liaison with Franchisees and Buyers for quality control issues.
- Monitor, investigate and ensure resolution of customer complaints and quality issues.
- Coordinate and execute the processes and procedures of product recalls, withdrawals and warnings, due to quality concerns.
- Liaison with Buyers, Customer Service and Legal with regards to store incident reports and maintain report files.
- Help build and maintain database of common quality issues that are not of risk.
- Ensure all store returns and credits are completed.
- Review items held in Quality Bin on a weekly basis and follow up where required.
- Maintain all new and existing product signage and recipe cards at store level.
- Prove POS administrative back-up, as required.
- Monitor the quality mailbox for high risk incidents after hours.
- Ensure signs requests submitted meet signage requirements, including CFIA requirements related to nutritional information.
- Keep up-to-date on food safety and quality initiatives in the food industry.
- Coordinate testing of product and ensure testing is completed on time and in compliance with department and Corporate Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Review product specifications for any abnormalities and ensure all information has been included, then filed accordingly.
- Monitor and stay abreast of any changes in government standards.
- Thoroughly reviews own work and their teams' work to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure accuracy of all reports, databases and correspondence related to quality.
- Ensure all communications are detailed and in compliance with company operating standards.
- Ensure integrity of data for all entries ensuring backup/support documentation is attained and on hand at all times.
- Take responsibility and ownership of all assigned tasks.
- Partner with co-workers as required on daily and/or special tasks, to ensure deadlines and timelines are met to the standards set by the Company.
- Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
Any other duties as required.
- Post-secondary education in Foods Safety, Nutrition and/or related field
- Advanced knowledge of food safety and food safety systems and regulations (i.e. HAACP, GFSA, CFIA)
- 1 – 3 years’ experience working with the quality and control of food products
- 1 - 3 years’ experience working with nutrition facts and ingredients
- 1 - 3 years’ experience in a retail environment
- 1 - 3 years’ experience working in a team driven environment with good interpersonal skills
- 1 – 3 years’ experience working with complaint investigation, corrective action plan implementation and vendor assessments
- 1 – 3 years’ experience microbial testing and interpretation of results
- 1 - 3 years’ experience working in a fast-paced environment with deadlines in a standard driven environment
- Basic experience with Microsoft Navision, an asset
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
How to Apply
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please forward your resume to email@example.com
No telephone calls please. No agency calls please.
Thank you for your interest. Only applicants who will be interviewed will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. In accordance with the AODA accommodation is available, if requested.