Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Manager, Software Engineering
Location: Aurora, Ontario
Employment Status: Full time
The Software Engineer is a contributor in our dynamic Information Technology team providing technical solutions to an ever changing challenging business environment. You will be responsible for the technical design and development of business applications or enhancements as identified in Business Requirement documents providing timing estimates to Project Managers. The application design and development is done ensuring performance, quality, and technical documentation requirements are met.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project / Task Management
- Create and maintain system documentation for new, existing or modified systems.
- Create and maintain training documentation and user guides.
- Examine and document existing business models, flow of data, and communicate the findings in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Monitors vendor and user requested enhancements and/or patches and apply appropriate upgrades.
- Participate in the implementation and follow up of projects to the appropriate area(s) to assure ongoing support and assimilation into the business.
- Develops overall maintenance and upgrades plans for major Company business applications.
- Provide architecture design and consulting for internal development teams.
- Effectively communicate and build rapport with team members, stakeholders, internal customers and business partners using a variety of techniques and collaboration, from initiation to close.
- Act as a liaison between the various business functional areas and the Information Technology team to translate business requirements into detailed functional requirements.
- Provides application and business process input to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develop, recommend, enhance and implement processes, standards, and technology improvements for business functions, as required.
- Identify opportunities for integration and improvement of existing business applications and processes.
- Support, enhance and maintain existing business applications to assure their availability, reliability, and performance.
- Develop and evaluate multiple alternative designs within the constraints of established standards and technology platforms, available skill sets, and resource constraints.
- Troubleshoot and resolve application and data problems.
- Monitor system performance for availability and resolve degradation issues.
- Complete system testing; documents and resolves any performance issues within a reasonable timeframe.
- Investigate and resolves data and application architecture design issues.
- Serve as an expert in business application methodologies, technologies and best practices.
- Serve as an expert in troubleshooting and supporting the Company business applications and processes.
- Understand the business and how systems can be effectively utilized to support key operating initiatives.
- Understand Microsoft programming languages to develop application and web systems.
- Designs systems specifications, modules, and process changes.
- Develops code and completes programming.
- Ask thought provoking questions to engage the internal customer and ensure a full understanding of their actual needs and deliver solutions.
- Analyze information to develop an understanding of the internal customers actual versus perceived needs.
- Perform research and apply creativity to application and data architecture designs.
- Supports user testing to ensure functionality meets internal customer specifications and make any required system code changes, as required.
- Develop and conduct testing to assure quality of delivered products and services.
- Develop application architecture that is reliable, upgradeable and delivers consistent quality results.
- Work with the project team to help develop and conduct user and support training.
- Participate in project close out and lesson learned activities.
- Collaborate in the planning, design, development, and implementation of new projects, by assisting project managers in creation of the project scope, schedule, risks, effort and cost.
- Participates in determining business needs and acquiring necessary development resources.
Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
Any other duties as required.
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science
- 3- 5 years' experience working as a Software Engineer/Business Systems Analyst
- 3-5 years' experience working for a mid to large sized retailer, in an office environment
- 3 -5 years' experience developing program code in Microsoft systems
- 3 -5 years' experience working with Window servers.
- 3 - 5 years' experience working with structured data queries, data base structures and data warehousing techniques
- 3 - 5 years' experience designing, testing and documenting the use of new features and procedures
- 3 - 5 years' experience working under pressure in a deadline driven environment
- 3- 5 years' experience working with complex technical instructions and using analytical and problem solving skills
- Intermediate knowledge of IIS servers
- Advance knowledge of email architecture and operations
- SharePoint Architect, Developer and Designer
- BI: Data Warehouse Architect & Developer; Data Modeling
- SSRS / SSIS / SSAS: Reports Developer, ETL Developer, Analysis Services Cube Developer
- SQL Server: T-SQL; DBA skills: Database performance, Partitions, Indexing, Jobs, Mail
How to Apply:
If you meet these requirements and seek a challenging position, please forward your cover letter and resume (using the subject line SE2019) to: email@example.com.
No telephone calls please.
No agency calls please.
Thank you for your interest. Only applicants who will be interviewed will be contacted.
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. In accordance with the AODA accommodation is available, if requested.