Chocolate Cake Pops
- 2 3/4 - Cups Chocolate Cake & Muffin Mix
- 3/4 - Cup Water
- 3/4 - Cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 - Large Eggs
- 1/4 - Cup Wilton Chocolate Icing
- 1 - Cup Merckens Chocolate Flavoured Molding Wafers
- 1 Cup Merckens White Chocolate Flavoured Molding Wafers
- 1/4 - Cup Merckens Pink Chocolate Flavoured Molding Wafers
- 1/4 - Cup Merckens Purple Chocolate Flavoured Molding Wafers
- 1/4 - Cup Coloured Sprinkles or Quins
- Place chocolate cake mix, water, oil and eggs into a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer on low speed, mix for 60 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Mix 4 minutes on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Grease sides and bottom of two 8" cake pans. Pour batter into cake pans. Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 40 - 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- Once cool, remove cakes from pans and place into a large mixing bowl. Then, using clean hands, gently crumble cake into small "peas sized" pieces and set aside.
- Place chocolate icing into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 10-15 seconds to loosen the icing. Once warm, pour icing into bowl of crumbled cake and gently fold in using a rubber spatula.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then using a small ice cream scoop (about 1.5.oz), firmly pack the scoop with the cake/icing mix and place formed cake mix onto the cookie sheet. Repeat this process for the rest of the mixture.
- Once portioned, gently roll each portion of cake mixture into a ball and place back onto cookie sheet. Then using a cake pop stick, gently insert a cake pop stick in the center of each ball and remove to create a hole for the sticks to go in. Place cookie sheet into the freezer for 30-40 minutes to set.
- Using a double boiler, melt 3/4 cup of the chocolate flavoured molding wafers in a stainless steel bowl and keep warm. Remove cake balls from the freezer and set beside bowl of melted chocolate. Taking one cake pop stick at a time, dip one end into the melted wafers and insert into the hole made into one of the cake balls. Repeat this process to each cake ball to secure the sticks in place. Return to the freezer for another 15-20 minutes to fully set before coating in chocolate.
- Once set, remove the cake pops from the freezer and dip one at a time into melted chocolate, then insert stick vertically into a piece of styrofoam or cardboard to cool. You may also decorate with sprinkles at this time before chocolate melting wafers sets, if desired. Repeat this process with half of the remaining cake pops, then repeat steps 7 and 8 with white molding chocolate for the remaining cake pops to create two different colours.
- Once cool, separately melt remaining molding chocolates over a double boiler and transfer each to a piping bag. Pipe ribbons or designs on each cake pop and return to the freezer for 10 minutes to fully set.
Yield: About two dozen cake pops.