4 Large Egg Whites
1/3 Cup Instant Dissolving Sugar
1 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar
1 Cup Ground Almonds (Sifted)
1/8 Tsp Food Colour Paste (Any Colour)
1 Cup 35% Cream
3/4 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
1 Tsp Cream of Tartar
1 Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 140 °C (285 °F). Bring eggs up to room temperature before starting.
- In a large mixing bowl, separate egg whites from yolks and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift icing sugar and ground almonds twice to remove lumps.
- With an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy, and slowly add instant dissolving sugar.
- When soft peaks start to form, add cream of tartar and food color.
- Continue to mix until stiff peaks just begin to form.
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold in almond mixture until smooth and free of lumps.
- Fill a piping bag with the mixture and pipe small mounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet, keeping them separate by 2-3 cm.
- Let stand for 20-30 minutes before putting into the oven to ensure proper rising occurs.
- Place 35% cream and chocolate into a pot on medium heat, stirring constantly to melt.
- Once uniform in texture, transfer into piping bag and place into fridge to cool.
- Place mounds into oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, rotating once.
- Remove mounds when cooked and let cool before filling.
- Pipe chocolate ganache filling onto bottom of one round and sandwich with another. Repeat the process until all macaroons are filled
Yield: 15-20 Macaroons