Chocolate S'more Cupcakes
Graham crumb base
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups white fine sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup white fine sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5-6 cups icing sugar, confectionery
- (may need to add less/more depending on consistency of your frosting)
Hershey's Milk Chocolate Drops or Hershey's Kisses to top off the frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Line muffin tins with cupcake papers (makes approximately 36-however this recipe calls for only 18 cupcakes, so you can freeze the remaining chocolate cupcakes for another day.)
- For the graham base, in a small bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, dark brown sugar and melted butter and combine with spoon or fork.
- Press approx. 1 tbsp. of the mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner and bake for 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- For the cupcakes, in a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add wet ingredients and blend well.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake in oven for approximately 18-20 minutes (time may vary between ovens).
- Let cupcakes cool on wire racks.
- When cupcakes are cool, use a cupcake corer (or apple corer) and hollow out the middle of each cupcake. Set the cupcake pieces aside for later to place on top of the filling.
- To make the marshmallow filling, in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water, whisk together egg whites, white fine sugar and cream of tartar until the sugar dissolves (be careful to not let the bottom of bowl touch the water). Continue whisking over simmering water until egg mixture is warm to the touch, then remove from heat and continue beating with mixer until peaks form. Add pure vanilla extract and mix well.
- Transfer the filling into a piping bag with round tip and fill the cupcakes. Place the cupcake pieces back on top of the filling (if whole core piece doesn't fit back into cupcake, cut to fit).
- For the frosting, in a large bowl, combine the butter, cocoa powder, 3 cups icing sugar, confectionery, boiling water and pure vanilla extract. Blend on low until ingredients are combined, then on medium speed; slowly add more icing sugar, confectionery (1 cup at a time) until preferred frosting consistency is reached.
- Ice cupcakes using your Wilton piping bag and 1C Wilton tip.
- Add a Hershey's Milk Chocolate Drops or Hershey's Kisses on top of frosting.
- (You can freeze undecorated cupcakes for up to 2 months in Tupperware or Ziploc bags)