Hot Cross Buns
1/2 cup warm milk (100°C-115°F.)
2.5 Tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup flakey pie crust mix
1/2 Tsp nutmeg
1/2 Tsp cinnamon
1 Tsp salt
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup sultana raisins
1/3 cup golden raisins
3 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar
1/8 cup cold water
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together milk, yeast, and 1 teaspoon granulated sugar. Let mixture stand five to six minutes, or until foamy.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Grate cold butter with cheese grater, and with your fingertips or a pastry blender, blend into flour mixture until mixture is uniform and crumbly.
- Lightly beat 1 whole egg with egg yolk. Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in yeast, egg mixture and raisins. Stir mixture until a dough is formed. 4)
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and with floured hands, knead until smooth and elastic, making sure not to over work. Transfer dough to an oiled large bowl and turn to coat. Let dough rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface with floured hands, roll and form into two logs. Cut each log crosswise into 10-12 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball and place about 1.5 inches apart on parchment baking sheets. Cover buns with plastic wrap and let buns rise in a warm place until roughly doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- While buns are rising, beat remaining egg with superfine sugar to make an egg wash. Mix pie crust dough with 1/8 cup water and mix until dough is formed. On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll out pastry dough into a 15- by 6-inch rectangle (about 1/8 inch thick). With a sharp knife cut rectangle crosswise into 1/8-inch- wide strips.
- Brush buns with egg wash and arrange 2 pastry strips over center of each bun to form a cross. Trim ends of pastry strips flush with bottoms of buns. Bake buns in an oven set to 400 °F for 12-15 minutes, rotating once halfway through.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Serve warm.
Yield: 10-12 Buns