Christmas Shortbread Bites
•1- Cup Salted Butter (Room Temperature)
•1 – Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
•2/3- Cup Fine White Sugar
•½ - Cup Merckens Green Molding Wafers
•2 ¼ - Cup All Purpose Flour
•½ - Cup Merckens Red Molding Wafers
•2 – Tbsp. Christmas Nonpareils
1) Place butter, sugar and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer, then using the whisk attachment cream together on high speed until light and fluffy.
2) Once butter and sugar have been combined add in flour, then using the paddle attachment mix on low speed until fully incorporated. (Should have a dry crumbly consistency)
3) Remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in Christmas Nonpareils. Set aside.
4) Place a piece of plastic wrap into an 8”x8” cake pan, making sure to leave about a 1 inch around the edges, for easy removal. Transfer dough mix into the pan and firmly press down with clean hands to make a flat even surface on top. Place into refrigerator for 20-25 minutes to firm up.
5) Remove pan from fridge and gently lift out formed dough using the edges of the plastic wrap and transfer to a cutting board. Discard plastic wrap, then using a sharp knife cut roughly 1 inch thick strips lengthwise across the dough, then cut each strip into small square pieces and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Place into oven set to 350°F for 8-12 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool completely.
6) Melt green and red molding wafers separately over a double boiler and transfer into piping bags. Once cookies have cooled, pipe two intersecting ribbons of green in the middle of each cookie, then using the melted red wafers, pipe a figure eight shape in the center of each cookie with one or two extra ribbons to create the bow. Let cool completely before serving.
Yield: About two dozen cookies