Christmas Tree Cookies
For cookie dough
- 3 ¼ – Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1- Cups Brown Sugar
- ¾ - Cup Butter
- ¾ - Cup Fine White Sugar
- ½ - Tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 – Eggs
- 1 – Tsp. Salt
- 1 – Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 – Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ – Cup Green Molding Wafers
- ¼ - Cup Yellow Molding Wafers
- ¼ - Cup Milk Chocolate Wafers
- 5- Tbsp. Silver Ball Quinns
- 1- Egg (White only)
- 1- Cup Icing Sugar Confectionery
- 5 – Tbsp. Christmas Coloured Sprinkles
Directions for cookie dough
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, white fine sugar and vanilla extract for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time and continue to mix until incorporated. Then stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently mix for another 1-2 minutes until ingredients are fully combined and a dough has been formed.
- Remove cookie dough from mixing bowl and place onto a lightly floured surface. Then using a rolling pin, roll out dough to roughly 1/8th inch thickness, then place into fridge for 5-10 minutes to firm up. Remove from fridge and return to work surface. Using Christmas tree cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until edges just begin to turn brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely before decorating.
Directions for Decorations
- Place egg white into the bowl of an electric stand mixer and whisk on high for 2-3 minutes or until firm peaks are formed. Add green food coloring and mix on medium to incorporate. Slowly add in icing sugar while mixing on low to create a green colored royal icing. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside.
- Place green wafers into a stainless steel bowl and place onto a double boiler to melt. Once melted, transfer to a piping bag, then repeat this process for the yellow wafers and milk chocolate wafers.
- Using the melted green wafers, pipe a border around the edges of each tree cookie. Then using the melted milk chocolate flavoured wafers, pipe onto the bases of the trees to fill in the trunks. Let cookies cool slightly, then using the green royal icing, completely fill in the green chocolate borders and sprinkle quinns and sprinkles over the entire surface of the royal icing to set into place. Let cookies set for 10-25 minutes before the next step.
- Using the melted yellow wafers, pipe star shapes onto a parchment lined baking sheet and place into the fridge for 2-3 minutes to harden. Remove from fridge and pipe small drops of yellow melted wafers onto the top of each tree cookie, then using a butter knife, transfer chocolate stars onto the drops of chocolate to secure into place. Let cool at room temperature for 25-30 minutes before serving.
Yield: About 2 dozen cookies.