Valentines Shortbread Cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, (room temperature)
2/3 cup powdered icing sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup red Merckens molding wafers
1/2 cup white Merckens molding wafers
1/2 cup Valentines Smarties
1/4 cup Heart Candies
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (177 °C)
- In the bowl, using an electric or hand mixer, whip butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Using a paddle attachment, gently mix in the flour and salt mixture just until incorporated. Flatten the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap and leave at room temp for 20 minutes to firm up ensuring that it can be rolled out properly.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into a 1/4 inch (.6 cm) thick circle. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. (This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked.) Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until cookies are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Melt colored molding wafers in a double boiler, (or gently in the microwave) and pour melted chocolate into piping bags.
- Use melted chocolate to pipe designs and to attach decorative candies onto cookies.
Makes about 20 shortbread cookies.