Homemade Mix 'n Match Granola
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil, vegetable oil or nut oil)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or brown rice syrup, peanut butter, or golden syrup)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, etc)
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds (sunflower, poppy, sesame, flax, pumpkin, chia)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup dried mixed fruit (cranberries, raisins, apricots, chopped mango, chopped apple rings, figs or prunes)
Description: Why not make a big batch of granola on the weekend that will last the whole week! The best part of this mix 'n match granola is that you can use a variety of different seeds, nuts, sweeteners and dried fruit. You can mix and match your granola to suit your taste buds each week!
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized pot combine coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla extract over medium high heat. Once mixture reaches a boil, let bubble, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine oats, mixed nuts, seeds, coconut and cinnamon. Pour warm maple syrup mixture over oats and mix well to combine. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 40 minutes, stirring mixture halfway through.
- Let cool completely on baking sheet. Mix in dried fruit. Pour into a sealed container to store.
Granola Cups: Combine 4 cups granola with 1/4 cup melted butter. Press into small tart moulds. Bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes. Let cool and place in the fridge to chill before filling with your favourite yogurt and fruit.
Granola Bars: Combine 2 1/2 cups granola with 10 pitted medjool dates, 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/4 cup peanut butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Place in a 9x9" square dish. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing into bars.
Prep time: 10 minutes.
Total time: 1 hour.
Makes: 5 cups